The tradition of Swans on the Moat at The Bishop’s Palace goes back to 1870’s when one of Bishop Hervey’s daughters first taught the swans to ring a bell at the Gatehouse for food. We now have two swan bells - one just beneath the window on the left of the Gatehouse, the other to the right - both with a rope hanging down for the swans to pull.
We are delighted to have recently welcomed a new swan pair to the Palace moat, thanks to Swan Rescue South Wales. We hope they will remain on the moat for some time.
Our former swan pair, named Bryn and Wynn, were long-standing and much-loved, and sadly left us. Bryn, the cob, passed away in April 2018, and Wynn, the pen, departed from the Moat, along with her four remaining cygnets, in October 2018.
It is thought that the family group headed off to the Somerset Levels, a popular site for groups of swans.
Wynn returned to the moat for a brief period in January 2019, before leaving again.
You can follow the progress of our new swan pair HERE.