Croquet Club

 The Croquet Club at The Bishop’s Palace

The Croquet Club has been playing on the lawns at the Palace since 1976 when Bishop Bickerseth gave permission for croquet to be played once again on the lawns. The game was last played at the time of Bishop Kennion (1894-1921). By tradition The Bishop of Bath and Wells – who is the Club’s President – opens the season.

The croquet season starts in April and continues through the summer months until the end of September. The club members play most afternoons of the week, wearing their “whites” and enjoying a social afternoon playing croquet.

Taster sessions

The club welcomes new members, even if they have not played before. Introductory sessions are given, normally in the morning and lasting approximately an hour. Then when a new member has learned the game, they are invited to come along to the club afternoons and enjoy playing with other members. Refresher sessions are also organised at the beginning of each year.

How to book a session with the Croquet Club

Enquiries about joining the Palace Croquet Club should be made to the Club Secretary, Jonathan Rendel on 01749 345355.